Do I Need a Root Canal?
If you have a severe toothache, sharp pain when biting or chewing food, or the feeling of constant pressure in the mouth, you might need a root canalroot canal. Some people fear root canals, but the procedure is similar to having a cavity filled. Further, a root canal can preserve an infected or a damaged tooth so you can avoid extraction. If you have any of the signs associated with needing a root canal, see a dentist for evaluation. At Pineview Family Dental, Dr. Lance Bailey is your Prescott dentist for root canals.
The Root Canal Procedure
The procedure for a root canal is similar to having a cavity filled. A root canal is slightly different from a regular cavity because the infection has spread down into the root of the tooth. Sometimes the infection even spreads beyond the root and forms an abscess beneath it. To correct the problem, the dentist removes all signs of infection or decay. The interior of the tooth and root are then cleaned before finally being filled in with an inert material. Filling the tooth strengthens it and prevents further infection from developing.
Signs You Need a Root Canal
Several different symptoms can be signs you may need a root canal. If you have any of these symptoms, your Prescott dentist can examine your tooth and determine if a root canal is needed. Signs you may need a root canal include:
- A severe and persistent toothache
- Severe and persistent pain in the mouth
- A feeling of constant pressure in the mouth
- Sharp pain when biting down or chewing
- Sensitivity to hot and/or cold foods and beverages
Benefits of a Root Canal
A root canal offers several benefits, from preserving an infected tooth to restoring its strength. Benefits of a root canal include:
- Preserving infected or damaged teeth
- Eliminating the need for extraction
- Strengthening damaged teeth
- Restoring normal biting and chewing functions
- Stopping infection from spreading
- Alleviating pain, discomfort, and sensitivity associated with infection or damage
See a dentist if you have one or more of the symptoms associated with needing a root canal. Undergoing a root canal helps stop the spread of infection and can save your tooth from extraction. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Bailey, your Prescott dentist for root canals, call Pineview Family Dental at (928) 445-9233.